New Member Announcement – Group of Environmental Engineering and Microbiology (GEMMA)
We are pleased to welcome the Group of Environmental Engineering and Microbiology (GEMMA) as a new member of Water Reuse Europe.
GEMMA is located at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (DECA) of the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, BarcelonaTech (UPC).
The Group is dedicated to interdisciplinary research, innovation, knowledge transfer and education in environmental engineering; particularly in the fields of environmental biotechnology, water supply, wastewater, water reuse and solid waste treatment, and bioenergy generation. GEMMA was founded in 2005, since then the group has played a remarkable role promoting ecoinnovation and biotechnologies for efficient wastewater and sludge treatment and reuse.
GEMMA aims at contributing to sustainable development by means of fundamental and applied research activities, and through innovation in the water and energy fields.
The goal of the group’s research activities is to develop and promote sustainable and innovative water, wastewater and sludge treatment biotechnologies, capable of removing a wide range of contaminants, including emerging pollutants.
The main research topics are:
- Natural low-cost bioprocesses for wastewater and sludge treatment
- Algal based technologies for wastewater treatment and biomass production
- Bioenergy from waste and wastewater
- Biogas production from solid waste and biomass
- Water reuse and efficiency
- Microbial fuel cells
- Phosphorous removal and recovery from wastewater
- Life Cycle Assessment and economic evaluation of products and technologies
- Numerical simulation of bioprocesses
A warm welcome to GEMMA! We look forward to working with you!