Water Reuse Europe Conference and Exhibition on Innovations in Water Reuse
Girona | 20-21September 2022
Join us in Girona
Water Reuse Europe Second Conference and Exhibition on Innovation in Water Reuse will take place in the historic and lively City of Girona on the 20th and 21st September 2022. Only a 40-minute-long train journey away from Barcelona, Girona is an excellent base for discovering Catalonia and its culture, its cuisine and the variety of its landscapes from the Costa Brava to the Pyrenees.
The conference will bring together professionals and organisations active in the water reuse sector for a two day event packed with presentations from prestigious speakers, discussions, and technical visits. The conference will cover a wide range of topics including water reuse for potable applications, public health protection in water reuse, industrial and decentralised water reuse, water reuse in urban environments, natured-based solutions for water reuse, industrial reuse.
We therefore invite developers, industry leaders, solution providers, technology suppliers, policy makers, researchers, end-users, and consultants to share with us their experiences and perspectives on water reuse in Europe.
The conference venue is the Palau de Congressos de Girona.The congress centre is located in Devesa Park, just a 10 min walk from the historic centre and the Girona train station.
Our Conference dinner will be held on the evening of Tuesday 20th of September in the Palau de Bellavista. The Palau de Bellavista offers panoramic views of the City of Girona. It’s a short walk downhill to Girona’s medieval Old Town and less than 15 minutes into the main town centre.
The conference is organised with the kind support of the Catalan Water Partnership (CWP) the Catalan Cluster for the sustainable use of water. The CWP’s mission is to improve the competitiveness of its members in the water sector.
The conference technical tour is organised with the kind support of the Consorci d’Aigües Costa Brava Girona (CACBGi), a public body composed of the Girona Provincial Council and 47 municipalities, managing the supply, sanitation and reclamation of water for up to one million users.
The conference is sponsored by
Arup, a collective of 17,000 designers, advisors and experts working across 140 countries. Arup’s water teams work in 90 countries, collaborating across over 50 related technical and advisory disciplines. Arup delivers services throughout all stages of the water cycle projects from strategy development, feasibility and masterplanning to project management, design, construction, and commissioning.
Our conference programme is now live!
Taking place over two days, our conference covers recent developments in direct and indirect potable reuse, water reuse in urban environments, nature-based solutions for water reuse, public health protection in water reuse and industrial reuse. It also features an interactive 45min workshop from the Suggereix project team showcasing their decision support system for water reuse projects.
- Joaquim Comas, Associate Professor, Catalan Institute for Water Research (ICRA) & Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies (ICREA), Spain | The Suggereix project: Developing a decision support system (DSS) for Water Reuse project in Catalonia and beyond.
- Remi Declerq, R&D team coordinator, Ecofilae, France. Holistic assessment and comparison of urban water reuse scenarios – Application to Marseille city.
- Maria José Farré, Research Scientist (Ramón Y Cajal), Water Quality Area, Catalan Institute for Water Research (ICRA), Spain | Fate of disinfection byproducts and their precursors during a wastewater reuse trial in the Llobregat river, Spain.
- Isaac Fernandez, Senior Researcher of ECO BIO Technologies Area, Centro Tecnológico de Investigación Multisectorial (CETIM), Spain | Natured-based solutions for water reuse | The place of nature-based solutions in Water Reuse (EU project NICE).
- Joan Garcia, Professor of Environmental Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC)- Barcelona Tech, Spain | Spanish experience on the application of nature-based solutions for water reuse.
- Inge Genné, Programme Manager WATER, VITO WaterKlimaatHub, Belgium | Title tbc.
- Wolfgang Gernjack, Research Professor, Catalan Institute for Water Research (ICRA) & Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies (ICREA), Spain | The Suggereix project: Developing a decision support system (DSS) for Water Reuse project in Catalonia and beyond.
- Melanie Holmer, Reuse National Practice Lead, Brown and Caldwell, USA | Innovations in urban water reuse – perspectives from the US.
- Christina Jungfer, Project Manager, Dechema e.V., Germany | Water reuse in industry – Perspectives for current and future challenges.
- Xavier Matínez Llado, Director of Water, Air and Soil Unit, Eurecat, Spain | The Suggereix project: Developing a decision support system (DSS) for Water Reuse project in Catalonia and beyond.
- Chloé Meyer, Global Water Analyst, Bluefield Research, Spain. | Potable Reuse in the U.S.: Trends and Opportunities for Direct and Indirect Applications.
- Julien Orsoni, Project Manager, Vendée Eau, France | Jourdain : the first IPR demonstrator in Europe under construction in Vendée – France. Focus on the definition of the quality standards and the process of the tertiary treatment unit.
- Miquel Rovira Boixaderas, Director, Water Reuse Europe Board Director, Spain
- Samuel Reyes, Director, Agència Catalana de l’Aigua, Spain | Advanced water reuse in Catalonia.
- Lluis Sala, Head of Drinking Water Supply and Water Recycling, Consorci d’Aigües Costa Brava Girona, Spain | Foreseeing the future for water resources management in the Costa Brava.
- Domenico Santoro, Sr. Manager, Research, USP Technologies, Canada & Research Professor at Western University, Canada
- David Smith, Director, Water, Environment and Business for Development (WE&B), Spain | Economy of water reuse – How can we ensure economic sustainability for water reuse?
- Gilbert Trejo, Interim Chief Operations Officer – Production and Treatment, El Paso Water , USA | The new urban water cycle.
- Stephan van Hoof, CEO Blue Foot Membranes NV, Belgium | The Carlsberg reuse project in Fredericia, Denmark.
- Emmanuel van Houtte, Geologist, Aquaduin, Belgium and Director of Water Reuse Europe | Willow field for the treatment of RO concentrates at the Torreele reclamation plant, Koksijde Belgium.
- Miquel Vinyals Patón, Water Business Leader, Senior Engineer, Arup, Spain.Water reuse (‘technical water’ from Ground source heat) – Milan Santa Giula Redevelopment.
- Marjolein Weemaes, Director Business Development and Innovation, Aquafin, Belgium | Aquafin’s initiatives in industrial water reuse | A second life for municipal wastewater: Blue Deal boosts reuse initiatives in Flanders.
With the support of the Consorci d’Aigües Costa Brava Girona (CaCBG), a technical tour of the Lloret de Mar water reclamation scheme and adjacent Santa Clotilde Gardens where recycled water is being used for landscape irrigation will take place on the second day of the conference.
To learn more about the Lloret de Mar water reclamation scheme, consult the site’s technical description here.
Delegate and Exhibitor fees
This includes access to the conference, conference dinner and technical tour:
- Non-WRE member: 350€
- WRE member: 200€
This includes one exhibition space (1 table/2 chairs/2 banners – similar to this), access to the conference, conference dinner and technical tour for one person:
- Non-WRE member: 550€
- WRE member: 350€
Gold and Silver Sponsorship packages are available for this event.
- Gold Sponsorship fee: 2,900€
- Silver Sponsorship fee: 900€
The City of Girona has a wide range of accommodations for you to choose from for you to enjoy a pleasant stay in the city during our conference. For more information about hotels and other types of accommodation please click on the button below that will direct you to the City of Girona Tourism office website.
Please note that Water Reuse Europe has secured a 10% discount on daily rates at the Hotel Ultonia for stays between 18th and 23rd September at both of their properties. To benefit from this 10% discount, use the code WATER_REUSE when booking your stay on their website. This code is available for stays between September 18th to 23rd.
The Hotel Hotel Palau de Bellavista by URH as wells as the Hotel Double Tree by Hilton will also have special offers for all conference delegates who mention their attendance at our event at time of booking.
Water Reuse Europe Award 2022
Water Reuse Europe is pleased to invite submissions for its 2022 Innovation Prize.
The award will recognise and showcase projects and initiatives which are at the forefront of water reuse practice in Europe.