WIDER UPTAKE – Achieving wider uptake of water-smart solutions
Launched in May 2020, the project WIDER UPTAKE, funded through the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation programme under grant agreement No 869283, aims to facilitate industrial symbiosis as a means to increase resource efficiency, limit emissions and develop sustainable business based on water-smart solutions. Coordinated by Sintef (Norway), the 18 WIDER UPTAKE project partners are working collaboratively on innovative solutions allowing the best possible use of water resources, reduce carbon emissions and develop sustainable business models.
The hypothesis of the project team is that barriers for wider uptake of water-smart solutions are not only technological but also of organisational, regulatory, social and economic character. Therefore, WIDER UPTAKE will identify and demonstrate common measures for wider uptake through activities on:
- Monitoring and control of health and quality risks
- Circular-economy and efficiency potential
- Governance and business models for industrial symbiosis
- Measuring water smartness and progress towards SDG
For this purpose, six case study sites have been selected to developed knowledge on operationalization of the solutions, shared and further co-developed in a community of practice.
- Reuse of wastewater for urban agriculture and promotion of biochar as an alternative fuel, Ghana.
- Wastewater resource recovery for the production of fertilisers and soil improvers as well as energy reuse as biogas using a Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor , Norway.
- Reuse of wastewater for greening of urban areas, Czech Republic.
- Reuse of wastewater for irrigation in agricultural industry, Italy.
- Production of new bio-composite material by water resource recovery, Netherlands.
- Nutrient recovery from wastewater and reuse, Italy.
To learn more about the above case studies, and more broadly about this exciting and innovative project, please visit the WIDER Uptake website at: https://www.sintef.no/projectweb/wider-uptake/
You can also follow the project’s activities and keep in form on its progress and result by following the project on social media: